22LR at base of the ear will kill about any hog as long as you can line it up. Lung shot hogs with 22Lr might die yes.. but it may be hard to tell if they did since they will run off. 22WMR can be used for humane body shooting under the right circumstances. I used to shoot a lot at a friends banana plantation at night. Due to being a small property near town, about 30 acres he wanted to keep noise to a minimum( also no supressors allowed for hunting here). We would usually draw the hogs in to feed over some old bananas and snapshoot them to about 40 yards to the body under a red spotlight. We didnt have time to line them up with headshots once the light hit them. It was normal for the pigs to run once hit, we would find them the next morning some distance away in the paddocks. These were only medium sized hogs btw, largest about 220lbs.

The 22WMR was to go-to until we started loading 357 carbines with 38 special to just under or over the speed of sound. . A cast just under speed of sound will drill them well from reasonable angles, though they may still run a ways. I prefer something like a 158XTP to about 1100-1150ps these days. You will still have velocity to get 50cal expansion to about 50 yards and sound is no worse than 22WMR, at least to my ears. If you are in the US and can use a suppressor in your area, I'd consider a 9mm, 357 carbine or even better a 44 mag carbine. Slip one of those into the lungs and forget what the hog or neighbours dog does after that.