This is why I consider the 55 Hornady SP one of the best 223 bullets for all uses.

Snuck up on these two characters snoozing in some switchgrass. Only saw the spotted one at first and he was sound asleep, thought he was dead at first. When they finally got up to move out I stuck them both with a 55 SP from about 20 yards. Hard quartered away I shot them both in the armpit through small gaps in the weeds. Neither went further than you could throw a rock underhand. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Entry wound [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Exit almost through the shoulder [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
And the bullet that was peeled down to near the base but the core was clinging tightly in the jacket. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I don’t know how fast they’re going out of my 18” barrel but these were loaded over 25gr of 748 and they were at near muzzle speed when they impacted at only 20 yards. They did exactly what I’ve come to expect time after time, give 10-12” of straight penetration with a 1-2” wound track. As much as I love experimenting if I had to pick one bullet to do it all cheaply and predictably this would likely be it.

Last edited by TheKid; 02/26/22.