Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Lotta gibberish in this here thread so pay attention:
375 h&h is a piss-poor do-all for Alaska.

Most are too long and heavy for hunting in the mountains. Winter caribou by dog team, too bulky. Too much recoil for extended shooting sessions, sharpening your skills for the longish, treeless alaska shots. Not ideal hoofing mountains.

A .375 H&H doesn’t have to be long, heavy or bulky. I think it is perfectly adequate as an all around AK round. Sheep are about the only species I think that keeps it from being near the best and that is only because they’re often shot at ranges that I wouldn’t consider the .375 H&H with normal bullets good for. It is fine on deer and caribou sized critters though a sometimes caribou can be out there a ways too.

I carried my .375 H&H into sheep country a few times this year and didn’t find it too terribly heavy. I was after bear though and didn’t expect to have to take longer shots. The two days I was specifically after sheep I carried an even heavier rifle that that.

Like most anywhere else, I think the best all around rifle for AK is a 22” barreled .264, .284 or .308 cal of some flavor with a 6x scope, simply so it can reach out a bit easier but is also good for up close stuff.