One Rifle, one ctg will DO IT for AK, if you handload...

.338-06AI is a pretty good choice. The AI enables mild velocity boost with heavy bullets, 250gr and up. The 40deg shoulder enables long-lived brass; minimal stretching. Great bullet weight range to choose from. 160's all the way to 300gr. Cast bullets with the 220gr Lee for small game.

The .338/300win is also very versatile. 3 or 4 in the magazine instead of 5. Allows mild loads with 250gr bullets. I started off with 65gr of xmr 4350 with 250gr and with a Rem 700 got up to over 75gr before recoil was worrisome. Never saw pressure signs on a primer. A great ctg for the range you can load. Enables mild loads with jacketed and cast.

.35WhelenAI is also versatile and improved with heavy bullets. The Whelen can shoot pistol bullets. Not that the .357mag is a great woods handgun in AK, but there are 200gr flatpoint molds out there. The .357Maximum might be a choice for a duo, but the Dan Wesson's are a rarity. Seems like S&W could chamber their big mag frame for the Maximum???

Many acclaim the .375 H&H for "one rifle/ctg". The .375 Ruger Mag is better. More velocity, no belt (maybe a plus, maybe not), chambers in any `06 length action and uses standard magnum boltface diameter.

If the .30-06 is sufficient or "good enough" for All-Around In AK; the .338-06AI is just that much more because bullet weight choices.

A guy could probably do just fine with a .280remAI as that one is acknowledged as gaining most velocity boost of all the AI'ed `06 ctgs. Leaves a bit to be desired with max 180gr weights for a Bear Confrontation. Still probably enough.

The .358 Norma Mag is an AK Classic Round. Handloading that one makes lots of options open up.

At one time I had .378wby ctgs, Lapua mag, Lazzeroni, and Rem Ultra Mags in 30 & 338 cals, also a .375rum. Just too big and too limited. Big volume ctgs just can't be safely loaded to mild velocities.

Personally, I can't see shooting any rifle without handloading for it.