Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I started my mediocre Alaska hunting career in 1966. All I have ever used in Alaska is a 30-06 and a .338 Win. Mag. and both cartridges work great, especially with a Barnes TTSX bullet put in the right place at the right impact velocity.

If only one it would be my lightly customized pre-64 Mod. 70 Win. "Featherweight" 30-06 made in 1958. Those wonderful 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets can do it all, if I put them in the right place.

For about six years I ran a informal survey on the Alaska Outdoors Forum. I asked the responding rifle hunters how far away from the big game animal they were when they fired their all important first shot.

The average shot distance given was about 160 yards.

Agree. Many people go through the ultra magnum teen learning experience. That 120 grains of powder will end the hunt when lessor calibers will fall by the wayside. After 10-20 rifles over 40 years. I have several pre-64 model 70 .308s and .30-06s and Kimber .308 and .30-06s thrown in for back-ups. If that magical animal is 800 yards away and I can't get a shot off. There is always another day of hunting tomorrow.

What I want to end the hunt and go home?