Don't have any problems with the 30-06, first fired one back in '78 and hunted with one growing up in Alaska living off grid in a commercial fishing family, Which gave me the opportunity to circle the Kodiak Islands dozens of times and kill piles of deer, elk, reindeer & mt. goat along with a bunch of wild cattle on the Sanak Islands & few other islands around Sand Point & Dutch Harbor

Back on the mainland a bunch of moose , black bear & a few brownies got whacked, 30-06 was king in our family and all the boys had one .... of course we also had the usual surplus mausers in 8x57, 7x57, 7,65 Arg & 6.5x55 .. but when moose season came around, the 30-06 was numero uno !

Until that one day where I saw the moose of a lifetime, with two satellite dishes attached to it's head and had no way of getting down to it & take a shot, terrain, brush and time .. darkness approaching on the last day of the season ....

I remember clearly ... being pissed as hell and thinking Why TF can't I shoot it from here ? There's gotta be something better than this damned '06 ....

By this time I was old enough to buy my own rifle & after some digging around & seriously getting into ballistic comparisons , I bought me a 300 Win Mag & sold the '06 to a cousin .... Ballistic studies got me into handloading, in order to load up the fastest, flattest shooting ammo I could possibly get at the time .... This was 1988 and I haven't needed a 30-06 for anything since .....

The quality of my moose improved dramatically, I was taking longer shots on bigger bulls, I quit shooting spikes/forks and raghorn bulls on the first weeks of the season & made plans to set up for some decent shots (500+ yards) on bigger bulls with racks all hardened & sharpened up in the last two weeks of the hunting season , then came the 8mm Rem Mag & my favorite, the 340 Weatherby .. It was all over for the 30-06, there was absolutely no need for it, because I could kill anything in Alaska with my 8mm Rem Mag & 340 Wby at typical '06 range & I could whack a bull way tf out there as well ...

Enter the 300 RUM .... Nobody in Alaska knew what it was at the time & I talked Joe at GNG into special ordering me one & he ordered a dozen from what I remember, Rifle showed up with a limit of two boxes of Remington ammo & a set of Hornady dies .... The 180 gr Factory ammo at the time was loaded hot, right around 3320 fps according to my Gamma Master Chrony , and I absolutely loved it ! Finally a cartridge worthy of Long Range Hunting ...

With a case full of Reloader 25 and 200 gr Accubond bullets it laid waste to some fantastic bull moose since , at ranges my old '06 royally pissed me off at ....

After 30 plus years of "sending it" I don't need some clueless Fudd, stuck in a rut, trying to school me on what I should shoot and how close it should be ...

I understand the fact that some guys love the 30-06 and will call it king ..... I once did .... then I grew up

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".