Originally Posted by Rossimp
I wouldn’t say Swamp’s numbers are far off the mark. The RUM with 250 gr loads with +.700 BC started at 2,850 fps does yield about 2,750 ft-lbs at 500 yards. Depending if you start the 30-06 with 180 gr at 2,750 fps you’d get around 3,000 ft-lbs at the muzzle.

At 900 yds the RUM will maintain around 1,750 ft-lbs, that’s right about where the 06 is at 400 yds with a 180 gr load.

I respect Alaskan folks a great deal and spent a year in Anchorage working on some engineering projects and traveled some of the state. I always enjoy reading what Mainer, Phil and Swamp write. They all bring a different opinion because they all hunt game differently. Never meeting them my opinion after reading many posts is Phil is a big time Brownie guide/hunter, known by many because of magazine hunting articles. His family operation on coastal and grizzly hunting as well as other species is well known. Mainer IMO is a pioneer and a subsistence man who hunts and lives with freedom and survival in mind. A true Alaskan spirit with a high utilitarian IQ which is needed to live and survive in Alaska. Swamp is an elite rifleman/LR hunter (great photos on factory and wildcatted cartridges, especially Wby RPM derived wildcats). His taking of game at extended ranges with the most recent technology/equipment and knowledge of how to use it and fine tune it are difficult to accomplish.

I could be wrong on the above, it’s just my feeling after reading many posts. Point is they all hunt differently and all appear to be proficient and fine with their methods and equipment. That’s all that really matters.
It is not foot lbs that kill. It is adequate holes in the proper place.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.