Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Swamplord
The 180 gr Factory ammo at the time was loaded hot, right around 3320 fps according to my Gamma Master Chrony , and I absolutely loved it ! Finally a cartridge worthy of Long Range Hunting ...

With a case full of Reloader 25 and 200 gr Accubond bullets it laid waste to some fantastic bull moose since , at ranges my old '06 royally pissed me off at ....

I'm not one to say you're wrong at all for a cartridge or hunting style choice...but you do realize that a given bullet's velocity gap between two starting speeds decreases the further downrange you get, right?

That is to say, your 200 Accubond at 3200 FPS (.300 RUM) is only going 1751 FPS at 1000 yards, where if you started that bullet at 2700 FPS (.30-06) at 1000 yards that bullet is going 1419 FPS. That cuts the 500 FPS head start at the muzzle down to only a 332 FPS difference.

As for this:
Originally Posted by Swamplord
The 300 RUM does the same at 500 yards as the '06 at the muzzle ...... so in other words (& math) the 300 RUM is the same as the 400 yard '06 at 900 yards
I am not sure where your math here is coming from....as it just simply isn't adding up. There's nothing wrong with the RUM...rock on...but it isn't quite as magical as you're making it out to be at long range, unless you're just referring to recoil and muzzle blast.

did you ignore this part and fill in the rest ?

" & the hunter is an experienced shooter, using handloaded ammunition with the highest bc bullets designed for long range hunting, painstakingly worked up for extreme velocity & precision accuracy "

the typical 30-06 guys will pick up a box of factory ammo, usually whatever is available off the shelf with potato shaped bullets, hit a pie plate sized target a couple times and are ready for moose hunting ....... you guys applaud !

then sh it all over the other guys who use cartridges that have the same or more energy at 2x the distance with much smaller groups beyond 2x the distance .....

the ammunition we load must have high bc bullets at 1/2 moa or less with single digit sd ... there is no exception ....

With all that said ... I've killed more moose at typical short ranges , 100- 400 yards than beyond that , my hunts are late Sept. where I call & rake them in then hammer the snot out of them ... Guillotine execution style, no running, no tracking, no follow up shots, & no guides blasting at my moose ... one shot ....

I've solo hunted Alaska over 30 years with many different cartridges and tested just about every bullet made, usually before most even see the bullets .... I've had custom bullets made for me, designed specifically for the intended use with wildcat cartridges that put factory cartridges to shame in regards to velocity/energy and extreme accuracy

And yes... I agree that "shot placement" is paramount ! (see pics for reference , 338 Edge 285 gr ELDM, RL 33)

Some of us can "shot placement" a hell of a lot farther than the fat bastards with the 30'06 who don't shoot more than ten rounds a year

Some people tend to use Their Own Lack Of ability/skill, experience and equipment to judge others with ...

Do you tell Indy 500 drivers how to drive ? or F35 Lightning ll pilots how to fly ?
Why not ? you don't have what it takes to do that .... so go ahead and tell them what it is they shouldn't do ...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".