Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Sorry to hear about your friend. That's the problem with dealing with diseases. There are no perfect solutions, some are just less bad than others. And what's the least bad for one person might not be the least bad for someone else.

The last numbers I saw had the efficacy of the COVID vaccines at about 43%, near the middle of the range you quoted above, of course that also depends of if we are discussing relative or absolute risk reduction, which is it's own topic.... and that's a big part of the problem with Covid, it's just so complex it doesn't lend itself to easy answer you can encapsulate in a 10 second sound bite.

I like this guy. He was on the front lines day one and put out video's other's wouldn't, and covered the literature in depth. Here he talks about the most current literature on the benefits of the various vaccines in both relative and absolute terms. Spoiler alert....about the same as the flu vaccine.

It is a part of life. He was a good man that used to teach me many of the ropes of hunting when I was younger. I also have an acquaintance that contracted polio from receiving a polio vaccine; live virus was given due to a manufacturing error during the production of vaccines way back when.

I will try to give the video a watch when I get somewhere I can use sound later on tonight.

The 95% number was what both Pfizer and Moderna put out in 2020. Specifically, Moderna's December 2020 number which was constantly revised downward. I'd honestly be surprised if it was 43% reduction these days, but one must consider which strain.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."