IMO, with my perception of the OP, magazine capacity is pretty much irrelevant! If it’s an “up close and personal” encounter, with shots being fired……I’d consider myself very fortunate to have the opportunity to fire a second shot.

So to attempt to answer the question…….either, provided that relatively “heavy for caliber”, deep penetrating bullets are used!

If it’s truly an “up close and personal” encounter and I’m given the opportunity of “a” shot……I’d much prefer a handgun of at least 45 caliber using wide metplat cast bullets of at least 360 grains pushed to 1000 mv or a bit higher. With this I feel that multiple shots are a much greater possibility! Plus, it can be used with one hand or possibly while being “bear handled”….both of these are not a possibility with a long gun! Jus Say’n. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/18/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024