Here's an interesting "cut and paste" from another thread.

I find it interesting what this professional Alaska Brown Bear guide is going to be using this year. As most people know, the average Alaska Brown bear is a LOT bigger than the average grizzly, and the average grizzly is a lot bigger than the average lion...

From Phil Shemaker - "I am loading up box of 30-06 with 220 Partitions and another with 220 Woodleighs and plan on using one or the other during this spring's bear season in my 30-06 as my back-up piece. In the past, in test media the 220 partitions from my 30-06 penetrate virtually identical to 300 gr partitons from the 375 H&H.

I have killed as many bears with my 30-06 and 200 partitons as I have with the various 375's and while the 375's sometimes (? !) seem to put them down a little faster - the difference is not much, nor as evident, as most people suspect.

I am not suggesting that the 30-06 is an equal to my 458 as a backup rifle - because it certainly is not - but when used by someone who can shoot it the 30-06 with today's best bullets is a perfectly suitable rifle for use on big bears."

Interesting...

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."