Brian,

I did not see the original comments you quote as I have that poster on "ignore" in order to avoid needless strife here.

However, you seem confused about correct English usage here, again, and I will just clarify my earlier post for your benefit.

It IS correct to say that I have USED a .30-06 for PROTECTION in that I have CARRIED rifles chambered in this proven cartridge AND had them in my hands, pointed at a Grizzly which approached me far too closely for my comfort. I have also done this with a 7mmRM and both of these felt pretty damm tiny as I was within 10 yards of each bear.

So, it is correct to say that I CARRIED a given rifle for PROTECTION as it is to say that you may have an electronic alarm system in your home for PROTECTION. In this context, one can use either term interchangeably, as a check with your edition of "Fowler" will verify...do you have the latest edition?

Now, had I been forced to actually KILL one or more of these bears, it would THEN be correct to say that I USED a .30-06 for PROTECTION and/or for SELF DEFENCE, rather than saying I CARRIED said rifle for this purpose. So, your thoughts on this are merely based on a minor semantical point and really have little to do with the topic of the thread.

Happy to clear this up, old chap, as you know, after phone conversations where you have requested my assistance with backpack camping and wilderness gear to begin doing this very rewarding activity, my advice is honest, trustworthy and based on extensive field experience. I know that a man of your level of Grizzly-wilderness experience and self-proclaimed concern with environmental issues would not ask for my advice if it were not.

So, yes, I HAVE "carried" a .30-06 when working alone in Grizzly country, the last time was for 5.5 months alone on an Alberta Forest Service fire tower, BUT, when my favourite .338 WM was shipped to me, mid-season, after having a synthetic stock installed, I then "used" it by preference as I consider a .338-250 Nosler at 2700+ fps-mv to be a BETTER "stopper" based in what I have SEEN, than a .308-180 NP at the same velocity.

I have also CARRIED a Remington 870 12 ga. with Imperial slugs to PROTECT my reforestation crew, this was my first real supervisory position. I really did NOT trust that combo even on the yearling West Kootenay Blackie that I chased away from a bunch of self-styled "mountain men" on the crew, while they ran, screaming, over half the Lost Creek watershed. So, being a "starving student", I made do and did not lose a single draft dodger, which will, no doubt, make you happy, eh!

In THAT situation, I would AGREE with your opinion, as I understand it, this was where bigger is NOT better, due to other factors involved. So, we do concur on some aspects of this, at least. Given your concern for harmony on the Campfire, I trust that this will alleviate your confusion and allow you to enjoy your Sunday sports watching in peace, contentment and the knowledge that you and I agree on this issue. smile smile smile