Unless a guy is extremely well-heeled, or fortunate to live in the country, or a guide like Phil Shoemaker,he is highly unlikely to have the opportunity to shoot enough grizzly bears to become an expert at it, or at what it takes to put them down.

Plus, in addition to having the opportunity, you need the motivation to shoot them as well. They are not like deer, elk, moose, etc, where the food value of the animal is high, so some people, Kute included, see no need to shoot them except on a once(or twice, or three times) hunt of a lifetime, or in self-defense.

In my very limited experience, big bears die just like any other game animals,and there is not much mystery to it; just hit them well with good bullets!In fact I think that killing big game animals is by and large extremely simple, and a lot more is made of it than necessary.I number among my friends three people(all fairly experienced hunters)who have killed grizzlies with 270's;two with 130 Partitions and one with a 130 Bitterroot. The last was at short range to thwart a charge when he was retrieving cached sheep meat.One of these same guys also killed an Alaskan BB with the 160 partition from a 270.Another friend on the same trip killed his with a 7 mag and 175 partition.

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that either of the cartridges mentioned here would work fine;or to figure that a 338 will make a bigger hole than a 30/06, or that a guy is justified in carrying the biggest rifle he can handle effectively for these animals.Once you've seen a few shot,and mix it with your experience on other big game any intelligent guy can make a reasonable choice in rifles for grizzlies or Alaskan browns.You don't have to shoot a hundred of them to know what works. This ain't nuclear physics.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.