I have been right there at the death of about a dozen different Grizzlies in my lifetime, have never killed one myself as I had no wish to during my working years, but, am considering it now.

I have tracked probably 100 over the years, encountered over 60, usually alone and have "free-guided" several hunters, friends of mine, to them, over the years.

I have been within 10 yards of three Grizzlies, twice alone, once armed and once unarmed and once with two guys from out of Province, armed.

In my five+ decades of bush experience, Grizzlies were a fairly common situation to deal with and I COULD easily have shot over 20 of them, legally; but, I am a serious, lifelong environmentalist, not a trendy type and thus, due to the declining habitat and population levels, until recently, have not done so.

As to being a ...serious...BC bushman, pal, I think that I certainly qualify in this respect. I started working alone, far from help, less than a week after my 21st birthday in the Flathead wilderness and have spent actual years of periods consisting of 3 month stints solo, all over BC since that season in '67.

It seems as though you can hand out the comments about not taking credit for one's family's accomplishments (Canada forum?) pretty damm well, BUT, you constantly base your opinions on Grizzlies, calibers, etc., on what your DAD did and I thought that may be it might be time to point this out.

If, YOU can always use your dad's experiences as a point of reference, without anyone commenting, well, why can't I, or, anyone else refer to their forbearers accomplishments? I am not into denigrating him, but, there is no essential difference between my familial-historical references and your using your dad's Grizzly kills as a point of reference, is there?

So, don't think that I am attacking him, or, even you; I simply thought that "turnabout is fair play". Anyhow, the .30-06 is NOT the equal of these other cartridges.