Originally Posted by Landrum
if you were up close and personal with a big brown bear?

Now, I don't own a 338 Win. Mag. but I have sent many .338 bullets downrange from a 340 Wby. Likewise, I have shot a lot of 9.3 ammo. I've hunted with both.

I have wondered which would be the better option in stopping a bear. Imagine yourself in a situation where you had to shoot and shoot quickly. And for the sake of conversation, there are no variables such as rifle familiarity, recoil tolerance etc., etc, to ponder. In other words, you are equally proficient with either rifle/cartridge.

If you were in a situation where you had to stop a bear, which rifle would you hope to have in your hands? There may not be much difference in the stopping power of the two cartridges. And yes...........we all know about shot placement. But still, which would you rather have when the chips are down?

Landrum
Up close to a big brown bear, there is no question: I'd much rather have the 9.3x62 Mauser. More lead, bigger bullet, five rounds instead of three or four in the mag, more knock down, less chance of bullet failure/fragmentation at close range.