One problem about some guy's opinions, actually two problems is when they always use other's experience to bolster their own posts.

The second problem is that such posters seem to always develop an opinion, post it and then attempt to support it in every way possible, rather than posting an opinion based on whatever level of field experience THEY may/may not have.

I find this somewhat confusing as it does not provide the poster's personal experience, simply indicates his having read comments from others. I believe in posting opinions based on my own experiences, however limited these may be.

BC Coastal bears ARE as large as Alaskan bears, as I know from actually being there, not as a weekend tourist, but working in the field for substantial amounts of time. I do not see anyone here stating that the .30-06 is/is not a great game round, only an idiot would denigrate this proven cartridge...OR, the .375H&H, .338WM or 9.3x62, based on performance over decades in the field. So, whatever one's choice here is, the application is much the same between BC and AK.

The original topic was NOT "what is the best Grizzly cartridge" or even "Is the .30-06 equal to,etc.", as there are LOTS of perfectly adequate rounds for Grizzlies, just as one CAN kill Elk with a .25-06. The question was between TWO specific rounds and I find the constant co-option of these threads to "prove" one poster's strongly held opinions to be tendentious and distracting.

The last point made in the post above REALLY captures what the problem is and I have stood ready with my rifle, while watching grown men, with self-expressed considerable bush skill, babble and fumble their rifles, in the presence of their first Grizzly. I have seen this more than once and with Black Bears, as well.

So, to me, while ANYTHING Phil Shoemaker has to say about bears and suitable guns/cartridges for them is GOLD, as I have posted here many times, the choice between these TWO rounds is a "no-brainer"as they are about equal. I have often USED a .30-06 for protection while working solo in Grizzly country, but, given my choice as I am and having actually owned/loaded for and shot all of the cartridges mentioned here, I PREFER a larger bullet and my choices start at the .338WM.

You can find a number of strong recommendations for cartridges in Phil's writings, he is the one gunwriter I ALWAYS read and this is perfectly understandable as we cannot use ONLY the .30-06 and then have anything to write or even "net" about!

Now, that I HAVE my .458WM that I have been after for about 20 years, I fully intend to use it and expect that it WILL be adequate for what I intend it for.