JJ, interesting topic, and one we should think about more often.
We rarely consider what weight/caliber/trajectory (read speed) we want to use, but instead fuss over the fact that a 30-06 is/must be much better than a 308. That, or the fact that a short action is some huge advantage vs. a long action. Stick's 7mm-08 would be just as effective in his hands if it was a 280, 270, or heaven forbid 30-06.

Our real problem is that we tend to not be logical, but tend to rely on emotions in our choices. Either our dad/uncle/older brother/partner used such and such, and they were successful, so it must be the rifle that does it, or I missed/lost a big one last year so I should get another(generally bigger) rifle.
If we spent more time actually doing something to make us better hunters (practise and exercise being two obvious ones), less money on equipment and more on funding hunting trips, we would be much more effective.
Having said that, I enjoy fussing/dreaming over details of the next ultimate rifle as much as the next guy.
For myself and where I hunt, I've pretty well settled on the 270-280-30-06 class for deer and prefer something bigger for moose. The fact that I might run into a grizzly while deer hunting makes something like a 243 quite impractical. That and the fact that I have had enough hard bloodtrails with something like a 270 to make a smaller caliber largely unappealing. My latest buildup is a 35 whelen which will finish up at less than 8lbs loaded. I believe it will be very practical for moose, black bear, and not unreasonable in heavy cover for deer. It won't be my choice for longer shots in the alpine or across a large clearcut, but I wouldn't feel too awkward with it if that was the rifle I had.
I also am not an advocate of very long range shooting. The concept of shooting an animal at well over 400 yards is not hunting to me, it's shooting, and there is a huge difference, for me. Others may disagree, so be it. I can appreciate the skill involved in long range shooting, but we owe the animals better than that in a hunting situation.
YMMV
Pat