I sit here shaking my head that anyone would choose to use ballistic tips out of a 7mm mag and shoot an elk in the close range of the cascades!

I�m with you, JJ. My first centerfire was the 7mm Mag I bought back in 1982. Took my first elk with a 162g Hornady BTSP through the lungs. The bullet was recovered from under the hide on the off side. It had retained less than 50% of its original weight even though the challenge to its integrity was minimal (one rib on the near side). The following year I switched to the Speer 160g Grand Slams and have been killing elk reliably ever since. After 20 years I finally recovered one of the Grand Slams but only after it had taken out both shoulder joints of a 6x5 bull. Its weight retention was still over 70%.

These days I stoke the 7mm Mag with 160g North Fork bullets, the.300 Win Mag gets 180g North Forks amd Barnes TSX�s and the .45-70 gets 350g North Forks. The North Forks are not available in .257 so the Roberts gets 120g Swift A-Frames and 115g Barnes TSX�s for its +P loads. My hunting buddy switched from the 160g Grand Slams to 160g Speer Trophy Bonded for his 7mm Mag.

Obviously, I put a premium on bullet integrity after contact. But placement is still the key. When I read stories like the one you posted I feel sorry for the game animals.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.