Hmmmmm..............................KMC270,
Read my post properly.
I described the terrain as willow/alder/poplar/spruce. The mode of hunting in my post I forgot to tell was not sitting in a treestand, but still hunting as in slowly walking on game trails with the wind in my favour.
May be you are not familiar with the type of habitat I described above. A 60 yard shot there is a rather long one for the simple reason that it is too thick to be able to see much further, 15-30 yard shots are more common. At that short range the animal knows you are there but has not clearly identified you yet. When you come eye to eye they are out of there. You shoot now or watch it bound off.
Remember,bowhunters here sit in treestands before rifle season when the climate is still warm enough to sit for long periods in a treestand. That my friend is the reason they can get those nice 10-30 yard unobscured shots. Bow hunters in the bush tend to cut nice clean shooting lanes.
My selection of artillery caliber, heavy for species and bullet heavy for caliber enables me to deal with the odd presentation angles.