It all leads to matching the bullet/cartridge to the game and hunting conditions. What is the ideal bullet/cartridge combo for a given big game animal under ALL circumstances, not some select ones only.? The answer might be may be the combo that can penetrate that game animal fully from any angle.
My hunting conditions in willows/alder/poplar/spruce often present shots within 30-60 yards.
Presentation of the animal???? Any which way it is standing. Backwards straight on,angles facing, angles rearward, facing straight on.....................................and sometimes, yes indeed broadside. How much time for a shot? Precious little. The animal is very close and ready to take off or already taking off. Only parts of the body are visible.
You must take your shot the best as it is presented. And usually there is an opportunity. It is rare that no shot at all is possible. Waiting for a broaside shot and dilly-dallying will make you a non-consumptive user of wildlife.....................................it makes you a wildlife watcher instead of hunter. Actually I like people like that.
Hunting upland game such as Hungarian Partridges is a big help in speeding reaction time to shoot NOW.
Although my .270 with 130 grain NP will kill my moose with broadside shots fine..........................broadside shots are rare. In that setting as described above, you will not see me with my .270.
I use my .338 with 250 NP @ about 2650 fps.
I will try to break the pelvis, hip, angle through the ribs, under the tail into the chest, whatever it takes to break the animal down or get the vitals.
We are still talking about good shot placement here.
I have heard derisive laughter about using my .338 on moose or elk, since the 06 I am told will do it all. It will indeed if you are willing to pass on some shots I can take.
The 06 or .270 is fine if you can wait for the animal to offer you a decent shot. Remember we are talking about a suitable cartridge/bullet combo for ALL conditions.
The .243 or 22/250 may be is a fine deer gun down south and in the open, where a 150 pound whitetail buck is a real stud. Up in Alberta where big bucks grow as large as 250 and occasionally larger the .243 is only fine in select conditions, N_O_T in all conditions.
I suppose there are no absolutes. It all depends on the circumstances, size of game and conditions.
Will my .338 with 250 NP penetrate a moose fully from ANY angle? No it will not. May be a BarnesX will. The 250 NP at moderate velocity as above will fully penetrate with angle shots behind the ribs, brake big bones and leave big goops of blood.