Originally Posted by mack5511
It's good to see this all coming together,....and It's been a FINE "Campfire Project" ! The use of good American Allen Screws/Bolts to assemble and disassemble this piece( repeat that 40-50 times with me)saw them "lapped in",...using a bit of Symachrome mixed with TC1000 contributing thereto.They glide in and out of their appointed threaded holes with ease and grace. In finishing up /final detailing I assembled and torqued things to their happy mode, and than INDEXED the Allens in fore and aft mode. Their hex recesses were than bored out, and the new holes flooded with 56% Silver. Slotted .025" in the Mill, they appear in raw form below.[Linked Image]
Things really start to wake up, after a ride in the niter bluing salts. Were one to get really serious about the "Blinged Out", or "Pimp my Jezzail" look, he could spend a little time with his gravers and needle files, working those round recesses into little sunbursts or flowers,.....or something from Weird "Oz" place populated by witches and little girls,abbrogated and stolen by uppity knee-grows, and other fantastical poofinesses.
This rifle's going to a family of Loggers and sailers, so I passed on that opportunity.Anyway, these screws make for a nice little detail, and always look good when the Sun catches it just right.A dab of sight black whilst hunting?....I just might,....although I wouldn't sneeze at some blue tape.It WOULD be fun to toss some of the bored out and indexed screws to a competent engraver sometime, and see what one might do , by way of Silver flooding the finished / engraved result, and than polishing it out. I CAN tell you this, these screw heads grab onto a properly fitting screwdriver like there's no tomorrow, and stand up well, over the long haul.

[Linked Image]
Here's a look at the other screws, parts, pieces that got the Niter salts treatment.
This brings us to the close of this episode of "Pimp my Roller", ...join us in the next installment, when the "artisan learns how to break tiny little taps, and pull large balls of hair out, making a strange Rifle / Shotgun front sight.

[Linked Image]

I have to go drop off some repaired ancient double gun trigger group,
and check the Swap meet out for likely plunder. ....back later,

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/28/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain