Originally Posted by mack5511

I don't think there's a picture in existence of the Remington 760 sporter blade I used to do the initial dial in and firing test with,....the one on the right, below.
.....good thing, too, it looked as out of place as a tailfin on a model A

[Linked Image]
An old Badger barrel "crop" , from some long gone "length v. BP Velocities" test for a magazine article had a clean 3/8" dovetail that I cut,....golly, maybe 14 years ago ? .....Nice, handy "jig / fixture" for working an a sight blank, in this case the "extra tall" piece that was chosen to replace the tail fin.
[Linked Image]
Zipped off to the height of the tailfin +.025"
[Linked Image]
A little chainsaw file work ensues, and a little tubular piece spooled up in the lathe
[Linked Image]
Some Harris Welco 56% Silver and some white "Stay Silv" flux put into play
[Linked Image]
I'd LIKE to say the piece was threaded in the set up in the pic below,
.....broke the little 3-56 tap,....should have chosen a #44 drill for the harder material blush. A new tubular piece was spooled up, and TAPPED prior to soldering, on the next go round. Plugged the tapped hole with soapstone, prior to firing the two pieces together,...got it right on the second try.

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain