Buttstock is trimmed and the search for a buttplate has commenced.

My Jap cabinet makers saw is starting to pull to the right, but the cut (started right on top of a 1/2" silver pencil line,) finished nicely at a little less than 5/8" total stock removed.

*first pic shows amputation, and potential choices for cladding the stump with steel.

*second pic shows Mauser # posed against stump in "normal" configuration. Weird lookin' and WAY to narrow, topside, where we want the max width.
*Third and Fourth pic show an interesting approach to the Mauser plate,( assuming I could get my hands on another one.) Inverted, and with the wide top off of one weld grafted onto the other, it would be NEAT to narrow and fold that top tang under the bottom line of the BP, and inlet the whole works down to finished surface level. Hell, it's down there that they all chip /crack anyway ! Can't guarantee how the weld will blue , compared to the original material, but that Mauser plate looks like fine Swedish Steel, from where I sit. I probably should do a little tack test to see how it welds, prior to saying whether that's doable.
*Last pic shows an ancient smooth bore military or trade musket BP that will clearly be adequate to cover that stump. I had a PILE of that stuff once, this is the last of the BPs.
* I can MAKE a BP from scratch, if required, it's just a damn shame that the Castings currently available are so crappy and rude.

Your suggestions, opinions, alternate strategies appreciated.

Cheers, GTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~