BUILDING A QUALITY STEEL BUTTPLATE ON A WORKINGMAN'S BUDGET
( Or one could say "Mausing" one together )

Nice steel, but too small / short mad

[Linked Image]

Different Mauser, same situation, too damned short frown

[Linked Image]

HMMMmmmmmm, what if a guy,....... confused

[Linked Image]

Damn, THAT will work, get the torch ( A Victor Super Journeyman with a freshly cleaned #000 tip ). smile Founded in Sweden, in the late 1800s, this stuff is AMAZINGLY pure, and cuts like a dream,.....would without doubt be an amazing light show in low light

[Linked Image]

I'd say this will be long enough to get something half decent out of
laugh whistle

[Linked Image]

I have to build up (weld) the edges at the top, I REALLY don't want to give up any wood width there. Than there's the splice. TIG argon shield and 3.5 Nickle will likely make a good joint, but one always wonders about color match with bluing.

I'm tempted, SORELY tempted, to weld the splice, than, once profiled to close to finished shape, REDUCE the outer edge REAL uniformly, and than lay a bead of 309S all the way around the outer dia.,...Once blued, a svelte and somewhat "bling" lookin' detail on the BP, e.g. "Pimp My Roller" blush

Also thinkin' about grafting the left over top tang to the bottom / toe part of the plate.

I dunno',but have to get some other things out of the way, and will be considering this.

I know that somewhere on this planet there's a BUCKET full of discarded Mauser stock metal,.....I will now be keeping my eyes peeled for same.

Later,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain