Decisions, decisions,...etc.

The "traditional" military buttplate had that whatchacallit
(tang ?) up on the comb line, forever.

On reflection, not a bad idea if you're going to have the operators slamming the dam thing onto the pavement, cobblestones, dirt, endlessly....while performing his drill, or manual of arms. That would be the place to slam it, and have the arm come up in a natural vertical pose.

Than there's the clubbing , head smashing, and vertical butt stroking involved with bayonet drill and fighting,....

In my experience, a hunter / sportsman usually avoids slamming the butt of his rifle on anything, ....being more inclined to rest the butt on his instep, while parked in a relaxed, slouchy, un-military manner.

You very seldom see an old and hard run rifle missing a chunk from the comb line.
We see pieces split off of the TOE of rifle stocks a LOT, don't we ?

....really tempted to soften the top whatchamacallit / tang to almost gone, and grafting the other one onto the BOTTOM of this metal massaging stunt in progress,...thereby protecting the more vulnerable part of the whole lash up,....and also providing one hell of a practical place to locate a Q.D. sling base.

Just musing, under the assumption that you're not going to be running around knocking heads with this thing ( at least not to frequently).

....I don't see a bayonet mount on the plan, either.

....Phew

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain