Back when Old Dave Higginbotham (Lone Star Rifle Co.) graced our midst with his all to brief presence, I would have ordered up one of his EXCELLENT CNC'd extractor blanks, as opposed to welding this extractor up. Alas , those days are long gone.

I WILL be making a drawing of this piece, and filing it,....against running into this requirement again.

Very "Old School", the weld up approach (Frank DeHass, and Dunlap would be proud), but I'm more than happy with the finished product, it functions reliably and smoothly. Sharp edges have been radiused, tool marks (a place for fouling to nest) polished out, and a slew of unsized cases run through by way of testing. Let me emphasize again that in no single shot BPCR is it a good idea to have solid cartridge to extractor contact, once in battery,...No, I'm not saying one wants things flopping and rattling around, either. Just be sure to leave a coupla' thou clearance for best accuracy's sake.

[Linked Image]

Yup, I can hear em' muttering now,...."He sure cuts a lot of that chamber wall away, the original extractor cuts are NOWHERE near that big or deep."

Well, I've also cut away an awful lot of modern Cartridge bases, and know that good modern brass is gonga stout in that unsupported area.
The reason that your original extractor hooks were so thin (read prone to BREAKAGE) was dictated by the weakness of the balloon head cases of the day,....back when. I LIKE a stout and beefy "hook",and certainly DO cut more material away than the originals....it's pretty likely that the ear would break off a rolling block before a hook of this size and geometry gives it up. When one gets into the leveraged force applied in the Sharps, Hepburn, Winchester "walls", it's just flat crazy to "replicate" a spindly and weak balloon head type extractor.

[Linked Image]

I actually went back and readjusted the upper rim radius just a bit, after taking this shot below,...

[Linked Image]

Here it is, no ejector function, but a snap to rake out of the way, or the brass will just drop out if the block's opened muzzle up.

[Linked Image]

It's now time to move on to tuning and slicking up the action's guts, and bringing the trigger down to a good crisp, repeatable and safe 3 lb break.

Later,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain