Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

My fears about the shallow grooves were apparently misplaced. This is going to be a NICE hunting rifle.

GTC

how shallow were the grooves?

JC

How shallow ?

Laid beside a Badger, visually giving the impression of almost not being there,...imagine a large .22.

It's a 7 groove barrel, so "rolling" an impact slug between dial calipers is about all one can do by way of trying to catch an OD. I don't have the gear to measure it properly, and the caliper stunt is half azzed, at best.
IIRC , it's a .456, but the bullet alloy may be springing back a bit.
Guess I should try pure lead.

The grooves are maybe half again as wide as the lands, and round bottomed, presenting an almost polygonal appearance.

The bore's a TIGHT slip fit for a .449- pin gauge.
Very smooth barrel, albeit with lots of first operation reamer marks on the narrow lands.

I'm looking at the 5" crop I lopped of this barrel, and figuring too bisect one part of it in the mill, and maybe we can study on it some more.

Sure as hell no flies on the way it woke right up and went to work, and I'm looking forward to tossing a few more groups down range, lighter loads, and at a somewhat longer distance, too. The silver front bead is EXTREMELY hard to see, shooting south into bright desert Sun, a flat topped post would be easier to define. The rear aperture , to my eyes is basically a small ghost ring, but seems to be alright for centering things up.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/11/15. Reason: screwed up bore dims initially

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain