Thanks Jim, for posting this,...

You and your Pop have seen the back story on the pieces and parts,...I'm just going to post that as written,...

....and every piece has a story, to boot !

I really LIKE barrel band sights but man, are they ever time consuming to build. The massive bore sizes look kinda [bleep] without em', and yet I did not want to go overboard here.
.....went digging through my plunder and came up with the parts and pieces needed to spool up a fine "2 piece" unit,.....although by the time I either TIG weld it or Silver Solder the pieces it WILL be a one piece part.
The "band" was turned off a chunk of .43 Spanish Barrel (circa 1880s) that was taken off a really decrepit old cut down Remington Roller that had the "machete V" in the buttstock,....so it probably rode with Pancho Villa's outfit. I got the rifle from a fellow who'd bribed it outta' Mexico, in any event. Nice Nickle steel in those old pelters, it machines well.

The Ramp was de-soldered / came off of an old Remington 721 in 30-06 That I bought for the action only, at Cashway's Pawn in Tucson, back in 1996 or '97. It had come out of a Police Auction, and apparently had been used in some sorta' crime in Nogales.

Yes, there is a gap between the Ramp and the barrel,...No, it won't be there when finished,...I've taken it as far as I want to go with the machine tools, and will hand file a mortise into the band so they dovetail together in good alignment. As noted, I haven't decided whether to TIG weld em' together, or go with High Temp Silver,....but am leaning toward the TIG

...I kinda' like the 3/8 dovetail in the ramp, it's a COMMON size, and easy to find in any variety of heights and bead styles.

PLEASE let me know if this front sight works for you.

All the best,

Greg

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/23/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain