Originally Posted by Sevens
I haven't had any of the channels that show hunting for quite some time, so I've been taking advantage of watching some during a free preview month. I've been watching pretty much anything with sheep/ibex hunting, Africa, or Western big game and across the board, seems like everyone is using a Gunwerks LR-1000 and every freaking shot is 900+ yards. I don't get it ...

Some things I am trying to figure out/understand:

1. Why does a hunter, who has drawn the bighorn sheep tag he's been coveting for 30 years, switch to a Gunwerks LR-1000 for the hunt rather than use his trusty deer rifle (or the rifle he shot all his other sheep/ibex with)?

2. Why does everyone have a LR-1000? On one show, and I get that Gunwerks is a sponsor of this particular show, every hunter in camp was shooting a LR-1000. Across two episodes, they had 3 hunters shoot bighorns with their LR-1000! Are they giving these out as a prize when you draw a bighorn tag or something?!

3. Why is everything shot at 900 yards?! What happen to the art of sneaking up on your prey?

4. I've seen tons of bighorn sheep hunts in the past couple weeks, enough that it makes it seem like tags are not as hard to get as they are. Do they film every freaking person who draws a bighorn sheep tag?

Guess it's a bit of a rant because I can't seem to understand it. I like light rifles that are easy to carry. If I drew a bighorn sheep tag and, lets say, I get called and agree to be filmed by a show. I don't care if they want me to use a rifle made by the show's sponsor, I'll shoot my own rifle, stalk as close as I can, and keep my shots under 500 yards. Seems that formula has been working for lots of hunters in the pass.

Why would anyone agree to be filmed and join in any circus of hunting on TV short or long range?

But I agree do it your own way. Long or short. As noted some are capable some are not. But sure is nice to know your limits and stick to them.

And get rid of all the damn hunting shows on TV.... almost all of them are advertising and worthless.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....