Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

If I've never had a critter see me beyond a certain range in a certain terrain, it's NOT hunting...

Part of hunting is being undetected. I've killed WT deer from 20-30 yds that did not know that I was in the State.

Originally Posted by Ringman

Some people can so they do.

Yes but what I've seen is some 'think' they can so they try. I know a guy in a deer lease where I hunted that bought a Ruger Compact 270 WSM with a SHORT barrel. He 'believed' the velocity quoted and "THOT" he could shoot at long range.
I do not know how many deer he wounded---I do know of some--- because I didn't hunt with him very much. YUK.

Originally Posted by davidlea
When the time of flight is long (and in hunting 1 1/2 seconds is long enough) an animal can easily take a step and everything changes regardless...

Yes indeed. In 1 1/2 seconds an animal can turn from broad side to perpendicular. However some 'here' don't mind taking BUNG HOLE shots. IMO that ridiculous.

THIS is the reason I like/prefer rather fast bullets. The closer to 3100 fps, the better.

For the record I feel comfortable killing deer up to 400 yds. For some that's not long range. At an honest 400 yds a WT is NOT a large target.

IF things are NOT RIGHT I won't shoot at almost any range, and especially at long range.

Jerry

You and me both, pal. The best shot I never made was at maybe the biggest bull caribou I've ever seen at 261 laser ranged yards. The rifle was zeroed at 225. No rest, heavy brush within 100 yards of the animal, near dark, cross-hairs all over the place. The boy and I came back to the camper grinning like fools after a very fine stalk from a half mile away. A fine time was had by all! smile

The last caribou I shot was at 433 laser yards, with a rest (snow machine windshield) and very much sub-MOA .30-06 zeroed for 300 yards. I'll shoot that thing as far as my Leupold 800si will read. With a good rest. And other considerations.

IMO, anything beyond 300 yards (all my other guns are zeroed for 200) is "long range". One must stay within one's capabilities, the rifle, and those of the conditions. All of which may vary.

I personally will not push much past 500- about the range the si will read an animal. Even with a range finder that will read beyond that, it is shooting (IMO), not hunting. Heck- I consider anything past "point blank" of the firearm sight in to be shooting, rather than hunting. But I shoot beyond that to eat, sometimes. I'm prepared to do that, to some extent.

If the bastids will hold still for a 30 yard shot, that's my menu! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.