Apologies to Greg and Pat, but I have a couple more questions for Mr. Gregory. And yes it's true, I do need to go hunting more.

Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Originally Posted by smokepole
PS, making a shot from a bench at a known distance with spotting rounds is not the same as making a shot at an unknown distance on the first shot in the field.

Exactly, you've proved my point.

No I haven't. All I proved was that long-range shooting prowess is not the same as long range hunting prowess. Which in turn proves that what you posted about your long range shooting prowess is irrelevant.

Only you, maybe God and I can answer at what range is acceptable.

If you believe this, then isn't everything else you posted totally beside the point and irrelevant?

.....the more people rationalize distance "shooting" as "hunting" (which it is not)......

If foisting off your own personal value judgments on the rest of us wasn't the height of arrogance, you guys who want to say what is and isn't hunting would crack me up.

You do realize that there are 50 state agencies whose job it is to define what is and isn't hunting, right? They do it all the time by banning or restricting certain practices and restricting technology.

So if killing an animal at long range isn't hunting, why haven't any of the 50 state agencies agreed with you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.