Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Stone, If you get the chance, while ranges tend to be longer out here, with a good flat shooting rifle they are quite do able.. Like jawall, I like fast shooting calibers.. But I also like some bullet wt. at least 150 gr. When I drew my bighorn permit, I practiced shooting all summer to 500 yards.. When the time came, I needed it.. But the 150 gr. bullet dropped less than 2 feet at that distance.. This is easily achieved with quite a few calibers..

On the last trip for elk, our guide told us we would shoot at about 300 yards max.. We both got them at about 200.. For a .270 300 yards is do able with a dead on hold..

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. If I do get out there, I'll need to find a field, maybe on the farm behind my house, and set up some targets out there. All of the ranges here are 100 yards. Hell, we aren't even allowed to use a rifle here. The only hunting rifle I own is a 30-06. I do shoot 150 gr. bullets though. I'm not sure if it will be accurate enough out to 300, much less than the operator being good enough out that far.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan