Originally Posted by BuzzH
Smokepole,

I think you've done the best job of summing up this topic.

But, I do think that, like it or not, hunters, as groups and individuals, continually struggle with HOW we kill animals. Or more to the point, the ethical side of hunting.

If we're going to justify longer shots because its a meat hunt, then why not allow people to use foot snares for elk? If filling the freezer is the only justification for your method of killing an elk, then I seen no reason to limit the method of take at all...bust out the snares and get on with it.

But, there has been an ethical line drawn, and why its not legal to foot snare elk for the freezer. Once we go down that road, its a pretty thin argument that personal ethics and regulations on long range hunting shouldn't be considered. Its why we have season dates, caliber restrictions, bag limits, etc. etc. etc. all are based on what we've defined as legal and ethical ways to take wildlife. It comes as no shock to me that some are wondering where that ethical line is with rifle technology and long range shooting, and whether or not it should be regulated.

For me personally, HOW I kill an animal is wayyy more important than any other aspect of hunting.

I think its that way for a lot of hunters, and why there is so much disagreement in how we go about our hunting.

Great perspective!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.