Originally Posted by sbhooper

The difference is that you have practiced the shot and did not go afield with the purpose of taking that shot. You cold not get closer and that makes a difference. Going out with the idea of taking only extreme-range shots is a different deal than taking the only shot you get and being competent to do it.

Do you practice shots at moving targets with your deer/elk rifle?

If not..... then by yourreasoning above..... you're an immoral hunter if you take a shot at a moving critter.... because you haven't "practiced that shot".

Furthermore..... if the animal is moving because you spooked it.... it has seen (or smelled) you..... therefore, if you shoot it now, you're not "hunting".... as you didn't "fool it's natural senses".

Quite frankly.... I'd rather have an occasional dumbass shoot at a critter that's "out of range".... than encourage folks to take shots on moving critters because they're "in range" (under 200 yds).

I guarantee that exponentially more game is wounded inside 150 yards because of poor shots on moving animals.... than is wounded by "wanna-be snipers" at "extreme long range".

I agree the advertising and "shows" imply that it fairly simple to "range, dial, shoot". But there's lots of advertising like that everywhere. I can't dunk just cause I bought some Jordan's.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......