Originally Posted by Sevens
1. Why does a hunter, who has drawn the bighorn sheep tag he's been coveting for 30 years, switch to a Gunwerks LR-1000 for the hunt rather than use his trusty deer rifle (or the rifle he shot all his other sheep/ibex with)?

...If I drew a bighorn sheep tag and, lets say, I get called and agree to be filmed by a show. I don't care if they want me to use a rifle made by the show's sponsor, I'll shoot my own rifle, stalk as close as I can, and keep my shots under 500 yards. Seems that formula has been working for lots of hunters in the pass.

Quite a few years ago I built a .257 Ackley for my deer and pronghorn antelope rifle. I've shot dozens of deer and antelope with it.

I've been lucky enough to have killed 3 bighorn rams on DIY hunts in several of Montana's unlimited tag units and a Dall ram in the Mackenzie Mountains in Canada's Northwest Territories. All of these rams were one shot kills with my .257 Ackley shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets. The longest shot was 206 yards.

I now regularly (weekly) practice with my .300 Weatherby at 430 yards (the longest berm at our range). This practice makes me completely comfortable at 300 yards.

The longest shot that I've taken at any animal was 350 yards. The last animal that I shot with my .300 Weatherby was at 50 yards.

Just about every one of extreme long range shots that I see on TV, I think to myself "I could easily sneak to less than half that range."

I guess I'm just old school (and I'm not trying to sell Gunwerks rifles or Nightforce scopes).

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member