Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Stone, If you get the chance, while ranges tend to be longer out here, with a good flat shooting rifle they are quite do able.. Like jawall, I like fast shooting calibers.. But I also like some bullet wt. at least 150 gr. When I drew my bighorn permit, I practiced shooting all summer to 500 yards.. When the time came, I needed it.. But the 150 gr. bullet dropped less than 2 feet at that distance.. This is easily achieved with quite a few calibers..

On the last trip for elk, our guide told us we would shoot at about 300 yards max.. We both got them at about 200.. For a .270 300 yards is do able with a dead on hold..

Thanks, that makes me feel a little better. If I do get out there, I'll need to find a field, maybe on the farm behind my house, and set up some targets out there. All of the ranges here are 100 yards. Hell, we aren't even allowed to use a rifle here. The only hunting rifle I own is a 30-06. I do shoot 150 gr. bullets though. I'm not sure if it will be accurate enough out to 300, much less than the operator being good enough out that far.

When I was young I killed a buck at 300 yards with a 150 grain power point out of my 30-06 with a 4x scope. I was zeroed at 200 yards.