Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by CRS
Long range hunting is an oxymoron.

Lot's of moralizing and value judgments here.

Just because you or I like to sneak in close doesn't mean that people who don't are not "hunting." There are a lot of different reasons people hunt, even a lot of different reasons I hunt over the course of a year. I might bow hunt in September for the challenge and the charge I get out of calling in a bull elk and shooting it within 30 yards.

If I don't get my bull, I might get a late season cow tag and hunt solely to fill my freezer. If I see a herd of cows out on the prairie, over on the next hill at 600 yards with no cover between us, settle in, and make a shot that I've practiced literally a thousand times, am I not hunting?

Would I have been a "better hunter" if I'd attempted to sneak in to 300 yards? Or 200 yards? How close do I need to get before I'm hunting?

The difference is that you have practiced the shot and did not go afield with the purpose of taking that shot. You cold not get closer and that makes a difference. Going out with the idea of taking only extreme-range shots is a different deal than taking the only shot you get and being competent to do it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.