Originally Posted by mtmuley
I just want to know what skills are required to get within 1000 yards of an elk (seems that yardage has come up several times). Not shooting skills, the hunting skills needed. mtmuley

Not many skills required to do that. Non-hunters do it every day, and some don't even know they're within 1,000 yards.

But then again, IMHO, it's not very difficult to get within 100 yards of elk in timber. You have good cover and quiet footing, so all you have to worry about is wind. I can't count the number of times I've been that close or closer, but couldn't get a shot. Last time I went elk hunting as a matter of fact it happened twice. Getting within 200 is a breeze compared to the skills required to get within, say 30.

But we're not talking about just getting close, we're talking about hunting. Getting within range is only part of the equation, and sometimes it's the easy part. If you ask what skills are required to hunt and kill an elk at 1,000 yards, you get a different answer.

And if you ask which is more difficult, killing an elk at 1,000 yards or at 100 yards, that would be interesting to ponder. I'd wager that very few if any participating in this thread have the skills to reliably kill an elk at 1,000 yards.

And almost all who've been hunting elk for any length of time can say they've killed one at 100 or less.

A wise man is frequently humbled.