Just a bit more info. on this aspect of shooting.. For me 500 yards as Bob said is long.. We just came home from an elk hunt and saw elk at 500-1500 yards many times.. But it was too far for us.. The wind was horrible.. We ended up taking our game at about 200 yards.

I also enjoy long range shooting at varmints and plastic jugs. In the pasted I have shot some elk at beyond 600 yards, but in those days an elk in the freezer was important to our budget.. Fortunately we never lost an elk in long distance shooting.. Today, I generally limit my shots to 400 on elk and deer..

As for Gunworks, two of my good friends here in the area drew bighorn permits a couple years ago.. They both ended up hunting out of Cody.. Maybe with the same outfitter..
At any rate, one fellow is a hunter, but not a shooter.. His rifle is a plastic stocked .280 and he shoots factory ammo.. The other guy is a gun man.. He has several long range rifles and has made some long shoots on his own..
They both used the guides rifle for a ram at long range.. More than 700 yards.. The guide had a 6.5-284 both made successful shots.. So maybe it is something with the guides also.. Less stalking, I don't know, but to me the pleasure of hunting is using MY rifle.. But times are changing, and we must live with I guess.

Molon Labe