Think a "yuge part," of his appeal is the same empty vessel phenomenon that obama peddled in 2008. But whereas obama's was a bit awkward (if highly effective in the net), salving angst of war-time fatigue and coincidentally-timed inter-/national financial troubles with soaring oratorical bullshit (will never get that Greek stage speech sight from memory), Trump accomplishes the same slaving conservative angst thru, as BobinNH says, "kicking tables over".

In both of those cases, material details of HOW the candidate would accomplish said hope/change/great-again are sparse. Isaac points out that all politicians need to maintain some vagaries to succeed and would not disagree, but compare Trump to Cruz, say, on the matter of tangible policy proposals and one finds a yawning chasm of difference: "I'll be great at it" vs. "I'd propose x, y, and z."

And to me that's the bottom line: if we elect Trump, he turns the empty vessel over on day one in office and what policies tumble out onto the table of agenda? What do we get in that leader? We don't know, but we "believe" he's "like us, he'll do what I'd do." It's an act of faith. And the populace is so fatigued by decades now of feeling sold down the river, stabbed in the back, BY ONE'S OWN PARTY, that we are jaded beyond caring that Trump has few concrete policy proposals. Parsing those differences has failed us as conservatives repeatedly anyway, one thinks.

The populace, am afraid, is collectively at the "Aw, F-it!" stage. You ever take one of those hours long sit-down exams with >1000+ questions? Sure you want to do well, choose the correct answer. But by the time one gets to the last hundred or so, one's too exhausted to even give a damn anymore. That's where America is at in choosing it's next national leader

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.