Originally Posted by Brad

While no rifle needs any justification,

I've always scratched my head at the value of sitting in a treestand on an eastern woodlot with a lightweight rifle designed for mountain hunting.

Brad I agree, that's one of the privileges of shooting/hunting/gun ownership in the USA. I'll not mention any rifle brands or cartridges that some people dote on and I personally can't see any use for TODAY. No justification needed.

As to lightweight rifles, regardless of where I am going to hunt---picking up and handling a petite light rifle simply brings a SMILE to my face.

Yrs. ago I was drooling to get a Rem 700 SS Laminate in 7 RM UNTIL.. I picked up ONE. I was so very disappointed in how HEAVY it was and put it down just as quickly as I picked it up.

Also I am hunting ONLY 70 acres so there is NO long walk to any place. BUT on any given day I may spend HOURS still hunting (not stalking but slowly, quietly moving) and I will not, AKA refuse to, carry a heavy rifle while staying inside of 70 acres.

I know that's diff from what you mentioned about stand sitting.

So I suppose this ALL boils down to the FREEDOM we have in the USA (for now) to own/shoot/carry whatever rifle, regardless of weight/length that we choose.

May God extend our right-freedom in the USA! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!