Total recoil energy is related to bullet energy, so the 270 kicks harder than the 6.5x55. But there is more to recoil than just energy. Recoil speed is a factor that is related to bullet speed. The slower the bullet speed, the slower recoil speed, and the slower recoil feels more like a p-u-s-h, whereas faster recoil feels more like a SLAP!, and the p-u-s-h is easier to take than a SLAP! Since the 270 shoots faster than the 6.5x55, it's recoil feels more like a SLAP! I experience a similar difference in recoil sensation between my 375 H&H and my 416 Rigby. The recoil of my 375 with a 270gr bullet at 2700 fips feels more like a SLAP!, while the recoil of my 416 with a 400gr bullet at 2300 fips feels more like a p-u-s-h. I'm sure the total recoil energy of the 416 is greater than that of the 375, but IMO the 416 feels easier to handle. Of course, the difference in weight between the two rifles makes a difference in the feel of the recoil too, the 416 being heavier.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.