Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
fwiw,
Being a plinker at best I will defer to Nathan Foster at www.BallisticStudies.com ...

Please keep in mind I am building my current custom rifle in 6.5mm before hurling stones... smile

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

A wee clipping from Nathan's thoughts on the 6.5x55 Norwegian versus the .270 Winchester...

"Performance

The 6.5x55 has generated a huge amount of interest throughout the world since the influx of surplus military rifles became available on international markets. Articles relating to the Swede appear in every gun magazine yet there is still a lot of misinformation over the performance of the 6.5x55 on game. Authorities state that the Swede is useful for all game up to the size of Moose with its long for caliber bullets giving deep penetration. Comments have also been made that beyond 200 yards the Swede ballistically out performs the .270 while giving less recoil. In truth, the Swede is a rather modest performer. With factory ammunition, performance is generally in the same class as the .30-30. Wounding is slightly narrower than the .30-30 but penetration is usually deeper. The trajectory of factory ammunition is poor.
With light 120 grain bullets hand loaded to between 2900 and 3000fps, the Swede is a fast killer on lighter medium game. Most 120 grain bullets produce shallow penetration therefore this bullet weight is not particularly well suited to larger bodied game unless using the 120 grain Barnes TSX or XLC.

The hand loaded 130 grain bullet weight is neither fish nor foul. It has neither the high SD’s and BC’s of the 140 grain bullet weight or high velocity achieved from hand loaded 120 grain bullets. Performance is identical to budget .270 Winchester factory ammunition at 2900fps.

The 140 grain bullet is the most versatile bullet weight in the Swede. Hand loaded to between 2750 and 2800fps, this combination produces the best balance of wounding versus penetration. Nevertheless, regardless of high BC’s and SD’s, the Swede can be a slow killer at ranges beyond 200 yards. Conventional projectiles, regardless of SD, often fail to produce deep penetration. The 6.5x55 is simply not in the same class as the .270 which it is often compared to, regardless of hype."

Regards, Matt.

Mmmm........no comment. smile

Other than to note, if I wanted "more" in open country than a 270 offers, my move would be to a Big 7 and a 160-ish at 3000-3200 fps.

No issues with a 175 or more at 2900+ either. Hold the 30/06 capacity cases. Give me some powder volume, thank you

You can spell it "7mm Remington Magnum" but it has other names as well.

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/22/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.