Jwall,

I can definitely understand where you are coming from. In fact for most of my hunting and most of my hunting rifles are set up a lot how you described. smile

The thing with 30 mm scopes and turrets is though they are tech NO logically advanced grin they are heavy as hell. When hunting steep terrain or hiking back in a ways a 7 lb rifle can be an object of beauty. Hard to stay in the 7 lb range with a bohemith scope. Also when most hunting situations present a 400 yd shot or less it's much easier to be well versed in how to make a light non turret scope get that done than start twisting turrets.Takes less time. In my opinion in most hunting situations being limited to 400 yds is a hunting advantage. It's an advantage because if you see something further you have to stalk in closer. Stalking IS part of hunting and a big part of the skill required to be successful. It makes for a more complete and interesting hunting adventure.

A few years back I started hunting Eastern Montana and much of this hunting is wide open country. Sometimes it can be a real feat to close the distance to 600 ish yds. That's when I decided to put one of them heavy turret scopes on a rifle and try one of them long range bullets that don't slow down. Honestly the rifle IMO is top heavy as hell and handles like SCHIT compared to my sweet set up mountain rifles. cry

But, in the end I'll take this rifle to the eastern parts and ultimately my reward will be putting some of the best tasting game I've ever had in my freezer. The game where I go thrive on grain from farmers fields and grow up tender and delicious.

One of the biggest aspects I will be pressing for is I want all one shot kills. IMO it's another aspect of hunting skill that can make a hunt memorable. And while some might think getting within 600 yds requires no skill sometimes it requires making every move count to get that close to a herd of antilope.

Best of luck to you in hunting this year and thanks for sharing.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 05/22/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok