65BR,

I hunted in Norway for three days 15 years ago, and each day hunted with a different bunch of average guys on land owned by their employers. As a professional rifle loony, I made it a point to ask as my companions about their rifles. The dominant cartridge was the .308 Winchester, and most of those were a lower-priced Remington 700's much like the discontinued Model 78. I later visited a couple of gun stores in Bergen, and found a bunch of those on sale.

When hunting in the Czech Republic 20 years ago my companions had a 7x64 Mauser and a 7x57--though most were quite aware of the .30-06 I brought. One even said, "Ah, da Schpringfield! An excellent choice!" And he was one of the few wildcatters I've encountered in Europe, who had a lathe and made his own reamers.

All of which means little, since there were piles upon piles of .270 ammunition on the shelves of every sporting goods store. In fact, they resembled the piles of .243, .270, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 and .30-06 ammo.
seen in every Wal-Mart.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck