Originally Posted by Nrut
jwall,
In the .270 what is your 400yd MPBR bullet (BC), load, and vel.?

What size "target" (6",7",8"?) do you use in the MPBR calculations?

Also what's your favorite scope on your .270..

All this .270 talk has me thinking about pulling out an NIB Brno 600 that I have had since 93 or so..
Was going to sell it NIB one day, but screw it as it fits me better than all the other bolt action rifles I own..

Thx

Nrut,

I went through some of my 270 load notes. This is what I had come up with

I loaded a 130 accubond at 3112 fps
With a 200 yd zero I recorded 21" of drop at 400 yds.

In contrast to the 270 the 257 weatherby pushing a 115 gr BT at 3400 fps only has 10" of drop at 400 yds.

While the 270 (Used to be spun) as the ultimate flat shooter the truth is more modern cartridges have much greater capability in true 400 yd MPBR.

I'd use the 270 for a 300 yd MPBR rifle but in no way do I agree with the "spin" or hype that the 270 is a 400 yd MPBR rifle with a 130 gr bullet. JMO

I think you will find there is no special magic or wonder to the 270. It kills game exactly the same as other cartridges that surround it. From a logical standpoint one would do well in choosing a platform that comes with features that fulfill your intended purpose. If you like customs you can Taylor any one of a large number of rounds.

I'd not go to shooting your investment believing it's going to produce some kind of magic over ANY of the others. It's a great cartridge that works very well and so are many others.

Best of luck to you sir whatever you might do

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 05/24/16.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok