Originally Posted by 65BR
Gunner, Don Zutz talked about this 'phenomenon' as other writers...how the Magical High Rotational Velocity of (yes, not forward speed folks) the 7.5-8" twist can wreck havoc on game/animal tissue vs. a 9-10 in other typical rifles.

Of course this is deviating into Looney talk. The whole topic/thread was for entertainment as I know both rounds well and like both, both 2 peas in a pod like the 260 and 708.

Yes, Orion, I never had a 6.5 let me down, mostly used 120 and 130s on game, which is why I chose a 260/130 Accubond as my main go to round.

25-06, yes, it's what was offered since the 6.5-06 never made it past wildcat status. Surely the metric 'aversion' here in the US.

But Gunner, all bullets are engineered w/regards to the velocity window etc. they typically run. There are many modest sized 6.5 rounds and bullets in 6.5 typically perform very well at the speeds most 6.5s run.

I'd say you might want to compare a 6.5/140PT against the 277/160 PT for a closer comparison. Seldom spoke of, but the 160 PT is likely touted as some to be a 'beast' for it's bore size.

The 140 actually has a better bc/sd than a 150 in 277, so you have to jump to the 160 to get as good an SD....

It'd be interesting to see if a 270 w/an 8 twist would do any different on impact w/the 160 PT than a 10 twist....perhaps not, but I'd be curious.

My purpose of the thread was not which one is best, but simply for those who use either or both, to share their success, as both have an enviable track record, b/c they are A) shootable B) they work...and well. You could add both have a decent trajectory, very accurate, and maintain good ballistics downrange.

When I was younger and more excitable, I used to buy the fast-twist/extra killing power business, but these days I go back to Old Jack's notion that less kick leads to better shot placement and better results. Unlike a lot of theories, the fast-spin notion should be easy to prove or disprove in ballistic gel.

As for the .277 160 NPs go, I'm a fan. I picked up a couple of boxes on the cheap a while back, and so far they're 2-for-2 bang-flops; one an adult doe and the other an out-sized 8-point. Both were at 50 yards or less. For my puposes, if a rifle will shoot them, they'll be my choice, stubby profile and all. Several powders will push them to 2800, although my choice, 780, has been chopped. I've got enough for me, though.

What fresh Hell is this?