Originally Posted by 65BR

...... not QUITE there yet to settle on one rifle/round/load combo...oh, and optic!

.......I might get there someday...until then, I am going to have fun playing! Ha. We will both eat well I am sure when we have the opportunity to do our part smile

I just load up a 1303100 - and "Let's Eat!" smile

65BR: The playing is always "fun",and I have done plenty of that....but it ends when it is time to go kill animals,and for that you are right....I settled (a long time ago)on a single "concept",not so much a single round or cartridge.

Having tried other stuff myself, and seeing lots work in the hands of others(and fully acknowledging that other things "work"), I generally load a Partition bullet(or a Bitterroot),and go hunting,and it does not matter what caliber.I know what is going to happen every time I shoot an animal properly.It's going to die.

Nothing is perfect;nothing is infallible. But they come as close to being very predictable as anything else I have used or seen used. I think they are the biggest single reason that I think there is little difference between various cartridges and why it is "easy" for me to pick a single cartridge(or 2 or 3),and run with it.

The 270 could as easily be replaced by a 7x57 or 280 with a 140 Partition,a 7 mag with a 160,a 30/06 with a 165,any 300 mag with a 180,etc,etc.I have used all of these and others.The reason for this is that it works every time I try it,and the results are "boring".

If I had a 6.5x55, I would likely load a 125 or 140 gr Partition and go hunting. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.