Well dang, this sojourn in Ireland is coming to an end, I get the ferry to Cherbourg, France today.

First five days was 250 miles in a straight line southwest from Ballycastle to Doolin and the Cliffs of Moher.

The harbor at Ballycastle, far northeast end of Ireland, too small for anything but passenger-only ferries from Scotland.

[Linked Image]

First Irish breakfast upon landing, right on the harbor; the "big fry". Travelling by bicycle its all about the calories, ya eat like a starving wolf, grease is your friend.

[Linked Image]

Climbing out of Ballycastle away from the harbor...

[Linked Image]

In Ireland they don't buy so much firewood for their fireplaces as they do bags of coal, here seen outside a convenience store. I get the nostalgia, I myself can recall our fireplace being our only source of heat, even for hot water. The smell of coal smoke still takes me back.

Further south in the Republic you also find bricks of peat for sale, same places.

[Linked Image]

First view of the countryside. Yes Ireland is really, really green. Its green because it rains all the friggin' time and rarely freezes, both of these courtesy of the Gulf Stream.

[Linked Image]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744