Main drag, Asbourne in the morning. One thing about this trip, there ain't any diners in the places I went. My favorite thing was to buy a newspaper and have a proper sit-down greasy breakfast. Lots of times "breakfast" places wouldn't open until 8, 9 or even 10.

[Linked Image]

The other thing is, Ashbourne might have housed regular poor Working Class folks at one time, but lots of country places in England have gone gentrified, city money. Fer example, I had passed through the Cotswolds Hills coming north, which rustic inhabitants Monty Python used to make fun of. Ain't no hicks left there today, not that I saw, just upscale. OTOH, when ya got that sort of clientele, they have these sort of objects of natural beauty in their antique stores (this being an actual antique store on the main drag in Ashbourne)....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll say one thing about Ashbourne, they don't mess around when it comes to hike and bike trails, this one follows an old rail bed up into the Peaks District...

[Linked Image]

Of course, in England the term "Peak District" is relative, we ain't talking the Rocky Mts here. Still, it was nice to get lofted up to hilltop elevations on a quiet and gentle grade and not to have to rub shoulders with traffic for a bit. A view from that same trail, ten miles down the line:

[Linked Image]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744